Promote Events with Social Media (text tutorial)
How do I promote my event on our website?
Your event can be promoted on your organization's website with either a widget or a button. Depending on how you plan to use it, you can use either or both.
Event Widget for your Organization's website
An Event Widget can be thought of as an Ad for your event that can be placed on any web page. You can add details about your event and it links to the event page you created. It can also be set to animate in order to bring attention to it.
NOTE: You can share your widgets with a corporate sponsor or anyone who wishes to help promote your event.
- On your Event Dashboard click 'Widgets and Links' from the menu on the left.
- You will then be able to either 'Create' or 'Edit' an existing widget or use a link that has already been created for you. Choose 'Create' to make a new widget.
- The Widget configuration page will allow you to adjust the look of the widget and what is displayed. You can adjust the width, the colors, the headings that are shown and your own detailed message.
- Once you have the widget configured, click the 'Create Widget' button
- You will now be at the 'Manage Widgets' page and can copy the embed code to add to your website
Create an Event Button for your Organization's website
An Event Button that links to your event can be placed on any web page to help promote it. There are several styles and sizes of buttons that are automatically created for your event and can be found under the Widgets and Links tab.
- On your Event page select 'Buttons' under the 'Widgets and Links' section.
- You can choose from the types and sizes of buttons available.
- Select the 'Embed' code for the button you like and then either give that to your webmaster with instructions on where to place it on your website or if you can update your website, place the embed code in the desired location.
How do I promote my event on our Facebook page?
There are several key ways to promote your event on your organization's Facebook Page.
Publish to Facebook
Sell tickets and sponsorships to your event, right in Facebook. Click here for setup instructions.
Event Badge for your Organization's Facebook Page
An Event Badge is automatically created for each event you set up. It includes the high level details of your events and a link to register. This badge would typically be placed on your Facebook Page Wall so that it is readily visable to your fans.
- On your Event Dashboard select 'Facebook' from the menu on the left side.
- The Facebook Badge preview screen has two sections, the first shows a preview of the badge and the second section shows the HTML that you will add to your Facebook Fan Page.
- Copy the HTML from section 2 and then login to Facebook
- Add the Badge per the following Instructions
Custom Tab for the Event on your Organization's Facebook Page
A Custom Event Tab is automatically created for each of your givezooks events. It includes the details of your events, links to register or donate and the event details of your event. This Custom Page will be able to be placed on it's own tab and you can even make that the default tab for the visitor.
Post the Event to your Fan Page wall
- Post when you initially announce the Event
- Post asking your fans to share the Event on their Facebook Wall.
- Post when you get new sponsors and thank them
- Upload photos from previous events and invite fans to the current event
- Post to let people know how much time is left to register (3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week, 3 days, etc.)
- Post to let people know that there are only X tickets left
- Post any changes to the Event
- Post at after the event to thank attendees.
Here are simple instructions on how to post a link to your event on your Facebook Wall.
- Go to the Public view of your event page and find the 'Get Involved' section
- Select 'Get a link to send friends' and copy the link to your event.
- Now you can log into facebook and go to your organization's Facebook page and post the link on the Wall.
How can supporters share details of our event with their networks (friends and family)?A great way to let people get involved, is to let them spread the word. Your givezooks Event page makes it easy to do that in several ways. Supporters can share directly from your event page.
You or your supporters can easily share to Facebook by using one of two links in the 'Get Involved' section of your event page. They can use this to not only share to Facebook, but other Social networks as well.
When the top little Facebook logo is chosen, the user goes directly to Facebook with the link to your Event pre-loaded for them to post.
If the 'Share this Fundraiser' link is chosen, the the window below is opened and the user can choose from several Social Networking sites like Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin, as well as email or bookmarking sites.
Another way for your supporters to share your Event with their personal networks is after they have either purchased tickets or donated. On the 'Thank You' page there are a some pre-formed tweets and a Facebook post that they can share.
Tweet about your eventTwitter has grown in popularity as a way that people keep up to date and interact. Specifically, it's use has been incorporated into promotion and updates regarding events due to the broadcast nature.
When to Tweet - Similar to when you might post on Facebook
- Tweet when you initially announce the Event
- Ask your follower to Re-Tweet (RT) about the event.
- Tweet when you get new sponsors to thank them
- Tweet to let people know how much time is left to register (3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week, 3 days, etc.)
- Tweet to let people know that there are only X tickets left
- Tweet any changes to the Event
- Tweet at after the event to thank attendees.
Getting a shortened URL for your Tweet - Since you only have 140 Characters for a tweet, you may want a short URL to use in your tweet. From the 'Get a Link to send friends' in the 'Get Involved' section of your event. The added benefit of using this link is that there will be 'click' statistics automatically generated for it.